Our last but my no means least summer recipe dish is the dessert. Check it out below or download it from our latest Connect magazine edition which can we found here.
Our dessert dish has been submitted by ostomate Keith, thank you Keith – it looks delicious!
- 5 egg whites
- 150g (5 1/2 oz) caster sugar
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 tsp cornflour, sifted
- 400ml (13 1/2 fl oz) cream – double or whipping
- 1 tbsp icing sugar & extra for dusting
- 3 drops vanilla essence
- Handful of fresh raspberries to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 150*c/300*F/Gas 2
- Line 33x28cm (15×11″) Swiss roll tin with greaseproof paper
- Place egg whites into a clean bowl and whisk until soft peaks form
- Gradually add caster sugar, continue whisking until almost stiff peak stage
- Gently fold in ground almonds and cornflour until well combined
- Spoon the meringue mixture into a lined tin and back for 1 hour until cooked but still pliable.
- Set aside to cool.
- Whip cream with icing sugar and vanilla
- Sieve some icing sugar onto another sheet of grease-proof paper, then turn meringue out on top off the icing sugar – i.e. with lining paper uppermost. Peel off the paper
- Using a palette knife, spread cream over the meringue and use the sheet of grease-proof paper to help you lift and roll the meringue
- Place roulade onto a service plate and dust with more icing sugar
- To finish off, pipe swirls of cream on the top of the roulade and use fresh raspberries and piped chocolate to complete the look
Top tip! You could add to the raspberry taste by adding chopped raspberries on top of the spread cream before rolling.
Thanks again to Keith for this recipe! Do you have an ostomy-friendly recipe that you would like to share? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be featured in our next Connect magazine!